Thursday, September 25, 2014

Stretch It Out!

I am guilty of telling my students to stretch out their writing, but if I'm honest, I'm not sure my students really understand what this means.

Think about flip books. From beginning to end, there are a lot of little actions to comprise the mini books. That's what stretch it out means. Writers must include all of the little actions and details that occurred from the beginning to the end.

Before kids stretch out their own stories, try having them practice stretching out a story with a group. Write the beginning on the first page, skips a few pages, and then write the ending. Students will be forced to stretch out the story, filling pages with actions and details that develop the story. I think you'll be surprised to find what they come up with!

Here are some story ideas to get you started:

One day I was walking by the pool.
I was all wet.

One day I was playing with my sister.
We both got a time out.

I played tag.
I went to the nurse.

I went to a taco truck for lunch.
I got sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment