Thursday, January 29, 2015

Literature for Older Children

I detested reading as child. When I received TC's Literature for Older Children's syllabus, anxiety overtook my body. I was confronted with my childhood enemies: chapter books.

I stared at Charlotte's Web on my shelf for a week. I remembered Mr. Y assigning me to read Charlotte's Web in fifth grade. I skimmed the book and called it a day. Animals? Boring.

Today, I finally opened Charlotte's Web. I also finished it... and cried at the end. What a beautiful story of friendship.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books I missed out on growing up, and I'd love for you to join me on this journey!

Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
The Witch’s Child by Kelly Barnhill
Love that Dog by Sharon Creech
Monster by Walter Dean Myers
Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate


No comments:

Post a Comment