Wednesday, April 1, 2015

There's Always Another Perspective

While I'm a proponent of the CCSS, I believe they are missing a crucial piece of the puzzle. Students are asked to identify the author's point of view, yet they are rarely asked to question this perspective. How do we expect students to vote in an informed way and advocate for change if they are constantly identifying and agreeing with the author's point of view. Our students must talk back to texts.

In Teaching Children's Literature: It's Critical!, Leland, Lewison and Harste provide a list of questions students might ask themselves to consider alternative perspectives while engaging with texts.
  • Which character do I want to defend?
  • Which character do I want to criticize?
  • How did the author's use of language influence my decision to defend of criticize any of them?
  • Who might agree or disagree with my perspective?
  • Why should readers consider different views?

No comments:

Post a Comment